Tuesday, December 15, 2009

More Interviews (Eddie "The Chief" Clearwater)

I'm not really familiar with the music of Eddie "the Chief" Clearwater, but I've often heard him described as a disciple of Chuck Berry.  (I also saw one of his stage costumes hanging at the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale).  I haven't found a video that shows him really sounding like Berry, but click here for a nice interview where he talks about Berry's influence.  There's a nice story about the two of them appearing together at a suburban Chicago club and Chuck telling him to play "Johnny B. Goode." 

And here he is at work:



By the way, there are some nice videos of him in the 1970s that I'm not able to embed here.  But you might want to look them up on youtube.  A couple have him playing with Chuck Berry sidemen like Odie Payne.

No comments: