Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Another T-Bone Treat Worth Revisiting



The miracles and wonders of YouTube never cease to amaze me. Here's T-Bone Walker joining Chuck at Montreux. He even takes a turn on Chuck's Gibson, which makes Chuck become rubber legged with joy. Dang! (There's a similar scene in the out takes on Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll, where Chuck Berry crawls on his knees to honor Etta James. "I didn't know you!" he cries.  He knew T-Bone but seems just as happy.)

According to the YouTube angel who put this clip on the web Chuck and T-Bone are backed by the Aces - Dave and Louis Myers on bass and guitar, Fred Below on drums, with Lafayette Leake on piano. Below and Leake played on a ton of Chuck Berry's classics, including Johnny B. Goode.

By the way-- I've read that T-Bone liked his strings thick and stiff.  Berry, of course, uses slinky.  It must have been like driving on ice for Mr. Walker to grab that guitar-- but I guess he'd grabbed a few in his lifetime.

Wish me luck in Motown.  I'll be thinking of Chuck Berry's comeback performance in 1963 with the Motown backup musicians.  That'll get me through the jet lag.

No comments: