Friday, April 9, 2010

Self Deprecation

Chuck Berry was quoted in a great article in the British newspaper The Independent.  (There was a link, but it faded with time.  Alas.)

"Look, I ain't no big shit, all right?... My music, it is very simple stuff. I wanted to play blues. But I wasn't blue enough. I wasn't like Muddy Waters, people who really had it hard. In our house, we had food on the table. So I concentrated on this fun and frolic. I wrote about cars because half the people had cars, or wanted them. I wrote about love, because everyone wants that. I wrote songs white people could buy, because that's nine pennies out of every dime. That was my goal: to look at my bank book and see a million dollars there. That satisfy you?"

Well, except that, Mr. Berry, you are a big... 

Well, a really, really, really important man.  Up there with Muddy, and George Washington, whether you like it or not.

Picture courtesy Sky.

No comments: