Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Every Patch Has a Story!

An excerpt from Neil Strauss's book "Everyone Loves You When You're Dead."

CHUCK BERRY [While discussing how he gets on a Kubota mower and cuts the grass on his massive Berry Park Estate.]

Yessir, because it’s just there and I’m gonna keep the grass cut and all that. I’m a millionaire, but I cut the grass. And each time I cut it, it’s my grass (laughs and claps his hands). And that is satisfying. Hm-mm-mm.

STRAUSS: It’s interesting going with you because every patch of grass has a story and you know the stories.

BERRY: Oh yeah, every blade. It’s like a person. A blade is a blade: When it’s cut in half, it dies, for sure. But the half that isn’t cut springs back to life.

STRAUSS: Did you just make that up about the grass or is that a quote from something? Because I think it’s true about all the obstacles you’ve overcome.

BERRY: No, it came to my mind.

Read more about Strauss's book HERE.

No comments: