Saturday, May 30, 2009

Way Down in Louisiana: "Disagreable," "Weakest Set"

I didn't mind supporting a good cause by purchasing the webcast of "The Domino Effect" (a failed benefit concert designed to help kids in New Orleans) -- but I was pretty ticked when the picture and sound were shut off just as Chuck Berry came on stage.

I heard one double string lick from Mr. Berry and then something like:

WE REGRET THAT WE ARE NOT ABLE TO BROADCAST THIS PORTION OF THE PROGRAM.

What they didn't add was "BECAUSE SOMEONE IS TOO PERSNICKITY TO ALLOW IT."

Ah well. Love can be cruel. Chuck Berry sometimes sings the Elmore James song "It Hurts Me, Too," about a woman who takes abuse from her man but won't let go of him.

You're so unhappy
You've almost lost your mind
The man you love
He treats you so unkind...

Oh yeah! Sing it Chuck! Your fans know just how you feel!

It turns out, however, that we didn't miss much. (I love his music, but I can live without his Ding-a-Ling.) A story from the New Orleans paper tells how a camera man got bullied and makes it pretty obvious why internet ticket holders got slapped.

http://blog.nola.com/keithspera/2009/05/the_poorly_attended_domino_eff.html

B.B. King put on his usual great show. To my knowledge B. B. King has always and forever been great, gracious, generous and professional.

And though I was too discouraged by Mr. Mustard Seed and the blank screen to wait for wonderful people like Keb Mo and my lifelong hero Taj Mahal, I did see the opening act, someone notable that I'd never heard of, Junior Brown, a guitar genius playing a bizarre and wonderful mix of Country-Hendrix-Surf-Swing. Here's a bit of him off youtube-- though it shows only the upper part of his two part guitar in action.

No comments: